Recently we had to set up server monitoring via SMS for our Dedicated Server. We were hoping there would be a free service so did a fair bit of research into this. As it turns out we didn't find a free service, but we did find much information which we have compiled and we hope will save other people much time. Here is a list of Companies that offers server monitoring with SMS alerts. This is particularly useful if you have a server or web hosting business and wish to keep track of your uptime and downtime.
If you are a regular website owner, you may also wish to use similar services to track website status as compared to the reports given to you by your webhost. This is a non-exhaustive list of server monitoring services which provide as part of their services sms alerts. The top ten providers web located are listed along with pricing and other information.
At the end of this page we will list which service we consider to be the best, the cheapest and the best overall. We hope you will add your comments so that over time a over the board opinion can develop about this.
- Server Density: This service starts at $99 per month for an individual and up to $299 per month for a business.
- Free Site Status: This service is pay per use with each sms costing 25c US each.
- Pingdom: For a basic service Pingdom will charge $9.95 monthly, for a business service they will charge $39.95 monthly.
- Uptrends: Uptrends have three levels of service. Professional is $23 per month, Enterprise is $32 per month and Insight is $88 per month.
- Site Up Time: Site up time monitor a variety of protocols including http, pop, smtp, ftp, ssl dns and custom port monitoring. They have 2 plans. The premium plan is $5 per month and the Advanced Plan is $10 per month.
- Server Guard 24: Server Guard 24 is a comprehensive sms monitoring service able to check many services and ports up to and including: FTP, HTTP, HTTP Pro, IMAP, PING, POP3, SMTP, DNS, HTTPS Pro, Local Check Web, MYSQL, SSH, TCP, TransAct Browser, TransAct Server, EMAIL, HTTP/S Perf, HTTPS Cert, Local Check, MS SQL, PostGreSQL. All of these services can be checked on the Premium plan for $19.95 per month. The advanced plan costs $12.95 per month and can check the following services: FTP, HTTP, HTTP Pro, IMAP, PING, POP3, SMTP, DNS, HTTPS Pro, Local Check Web, MYSQL, SSH, TCP, TransAct Browser, TransAct Server. The Basic plan is $7.95 per month and checks FTP, HTTP, HTTP Pro, IMAP, PING, POP3, SMTP.
- One Stat: One Stat has recently linked to Uptrends (No.4) and so please see that information - this item has been edited.
- At Watch: At Watch provides 3 levels of service however it only monitors the http/s and pop and smtp protocols - so that is something to keep in mind. The advanced plan starts at $12.99 a month for 30 minute checks and goes up to $49.99 a month for the Enterprise plan which checks every 5 minutes.
- Service Uptime: Service Uptime monitors 13 of the major protocols and other ports upon request. They have basic plans starting at $4.95 per month, Advanced plans at $9.95 and Professional at $52.50 per month.
- Dot Com Monitor: This services monitors from $9.95 per month including all the normal protocals plus also streaming protocols, applications and telnet. For $15.95 per month you can also get website performance and speed monitoring which is a handy feature.
- MX Alerts: This is a mail server monitoring service checking smtp ports. It has a free plan which includes a 30 minute check for 1 server. The Silver plan is $99 per year for 10 servers on a 15 minute check. The Gold plan is $349 annually for 100 servers on a 5 minute check.
- Website Monitoring: This service has a free trial and begins at $59 per year for basic and intermediate monitoring. It's worth a try.
If you are a webmaster or website owner and your site does not attract large amounts of traffice. Also if you are not concerned about monitoring a whole server - we recommend a basic free 30 minute check with Up Trends. It won't cost anything and you can get a good level of service which covers most needs.
If you are a hostmaster or webmaster and you handle large amounts of traffic, you will need to consider something more substantial and will need to pay for a proper service. For many options are a reasonable price try Server Guard 24 for a combination of quality services and price.
The overall cheapest service is Free Site Status which offers some basic checks for no cost.
Our most recommended service is Service Uptime which provides 3 protocal checks every 5 minutes for just $4.95 per month - a good balance of price and service.
Posted by David Alley on Thursday, June 14, 2012
Powered by WHMCompleteSolution